January 23 – 27
6:30am-7:30am @ The ARC
During tryouts, the coaching staff will spend time with all trialists to help them develop their rowing technique. As tryouts progress, evaluation pieces will be integrated into the tryout sessions to help the coaching staff with selections. Candidates will be evaluated based on attitude, fitness, ability, and competitive drive. Prior rowing experience NOT required.
Indoor Sessions (ARC)
All indoor tryout sessions will be in Gym 1 at the ARC – signs will be posted in the main lobby directing you to tryouts. On your first day, you will need to fill out an eligibility waiver along with a club sports waiver. The first day of tryouts will feature an introductory session to teach basic rowing technique to athletes new to rowing, and reinforce good technique for athletes who have previously rowed. As tryouts progress, the workouts will increase in intensity to help the coaching staff evaluate candidates.
- If you are in your first 4 years of undergrad and currently enrolled full-time at U of I, you are eligible.
- If you are in your 5th year of University (including Graduate Students who finished Undergrad in 4 years) and have not rowed more than 3 years at the collegiate level, you are eligible.
- If you are in your 6th year or greater of University (counting both undergrad and grad school), you are NOT eligible. Please consider our Graduate Rowing Program.
- If you have already rowed for 4 years in University (U of I or elsewhere), you are NOT eligible. Please consider our Graduate Rowing Program.
- Candidates will be selected based on level of fitness, level of effort, attendance, and willingness to be coached and compete.
- Candidates will NOT be discriminated against based on race, religion, ethnic group, or national origin in accordance with the Code on Campus Affairs and Regulations Applying to All Students.
- Selections will be made on Saturday January 28th. All candidates (selected or otherwise) will be notified by email the same day.
- Candidates not selected in the session are welcome to tryout in future sessions.